Monday, August 30, 2010

Meet The Teacher

Meet the Teacher!
Hello, my name is Miss Ashley Anholt. I am excited to be your son/daughters teacher this year.
If you were to ask my friends to describe me I am sure they would tell you that I love adventure and have a heart that remains faithful to God, my family, and Saskatchewan (especially the Roughriders)! I was born and raised in Saskatoon and have attended Emmanuel Baptist Church for nearly my entire life. The year after high school I moved away and attended Columbia Bible College, in Abbotsford, BC. I then returned to Saskatoon and attended the University of Saskatchewan’s College of Education where I graduated in 2007. After receiving my degree I moved to Hong Kong and taught Grade 2 at the Christian Alliance International School for 2 years. While I was living overseas I travelled to several countries in South East Asia and India both for pleasure and missions. In 2009, I moved back to Saskatoon and was blessed to receive the grade 7/8 teaching position here at SCS.
I have really enjoyed teaching the middle years students. I value the depth of our conversations and opportunities that I have to mentor youth. I love to travel and experience other cultures! This passion is easily reflected in my teaching in that I love to share stories from my travels and draw from my experiences when teaching about cultures and/or new experiences. After visiting schools in poverty-stricken countries I have a much greater appreciation for teaching in such a privileged school.
As a teacher I value each student and their individual learning styles. I understand that not every student learns in the exact same way as their classmates. This year I intend to provide opportunities to reach the various learning styles. Two teaching methods that I value are Differentiated and Student-Centered Learning. These two teaching approaches look at individual students and their learning styles and needs. Differentiated learning often offers different types of assignments for different learners. Student-Centered learning is where students often choose what they want to study and how they think they should be assessed. Both of these approaches foster independent learning and opportunities for all students to be successful. In my experience the best learning outcomes have been achieved when the students have taken initiative and responsibility for their own learning. I appreciate your support as we partner together this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment